Saturday, May 15, 2010

As 2009 was coming to a close and I set my mind to get back to writing I wondered where I'd find inspiration. What I would write about. I also wondered if people would read and if they did would they like it. Would they be moved or inspired in some way.

I don't typcially just sit and write. I don't write poetry and I've never been the type to just toss out the details of my life on paper for the world to see. I like to write about things that move me... make me think... or even things that simply amuse me.

Nature moves me. How can you not drive through the hill country during wild flower season and not be moved?



On some of those roads that venture out through the hillsides there is nothing but field after field of flowers. It's an amazing reminder of God and his goodness in blessing us with such beauty.

Or an unobstructed view of a gorgeous sunset off the coast of Florida



There's something very powerful in watching the day give to night.

Family moves me.



My family...Steve's family... being with friends at their family functions. I love the closeness and warmth that being around family brings.

Art moves me. I wish I could paint like my Dad or get some of the incredibly inventive ideas that Steve does. But the brushes and pencils are their thing. Not really mine.

I had the opportunity today to take in an art exhibit at Houston's own Winter Street Studios. I've only recently become familiar with John Palmer's art and I have to say that it does indeed move me. The pieces and their accompanying narratives tell the story of his journey and it's an amazing story. I could see heart and soul in his works. For the first time in a long time I could see emotion in a piece of art. I stood in front of one painting for about 15 minutes and kept seeing new things to love about it. I was completely captivated. I was moved. John - I thank you for that.


www.johnpalmerart.com

No comments: