Monday, May 17, 2010

Blast From The Past

I've have a crazy schedule this morning so I thought I'd do a repost of something I wrote back in 2005!

(Original post - July 2005)

I didn't know what to write until just now because he jumped into my lap and onto the keyboard. He being my 13 pound red tabby Pumpkin. Yes - Pumpkin. I didn't name him.... I adopted him - complete with that title.




The person who said that animals have their own personality certainly modeled that statement after my cat. He refuses to drink from a bowl and will drink only from the toilet. He will come if I whistle for him. And when he wants to be fed in the morning he will sit on my chest and stare at me.



LOL I'll open my eyes and he is sitting there staring. If the staring doesn't work he'll rub his head against my face until I wake up. And he will only eat the Meow Mix that comes in a little pouch. (yes - he's spoiled!)

One Saturday I came in from running errands. He wasn't at the door waiting like he usually does. I whistled for him.. (stop laughing!) and he wouldnt come. Called him - no Pumpkin. I searched everywhere and then it hit me. He got out. I drove the entire apartment complex looking for him. I had two of my neighbors - big burly guys - running around the complex calling out "here kitty kitty - Pumpkin" I was crying by this point. Hey - it's allowed! Over an hour had gone by and the guys told me to go home and they would keep looking.

I went back inside and sat on the couch holding a cat toy crying. (I hear you laughing!!) It only took moments and I hear a meow. Then I hear his little collar bell ringing followed very closely by the cabinet door under the kitchen sink banging shut. He sauntered out into the kitchen... gave me the big deep kitty cat stretch and proceeded to give me his "feed me" look. That damn cat had been sleeping under the sink this whole time!

I picked him up and held him.. cried a little more.. then I fed him. I called off the search party and ended up buying them a case of beer. They came inside and held him and petted him too. I know - I can hear you saying it - "get a life" and you may be right. But we as humans sometimes form a stronger bond with out pet than we do some people. I have some great friends and an amazing family who love me unconditionally and I love them just the same.

But Pumpkin sitting on my chest breathing cat breath on me to wake me up isn't such an annoying thing afterall - its just his way of telling me he loves me - and to get my butt out of bed and feed him.

No comments: