Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Going..Going...Almost Gone

Did you ever have one of these growing up??




I did. I had one of these too! If memory serves me right.. I went through a couple of these




Every kid I knew owned one of these at some point when they were toddlers



I had all but forgotten these things even existed until I visited a little store in Rice Village almost two years ago. Early on in our relationship Steve and I spent the better part of the day bumming around the area going in and out of all the shops. Being nothing but big kids, we had the most fun here



Variety 5 & 10 opened up for business in 1948 and have been in the same place ever since. The aisles are crammed packed with everything and anything. Books, candy, toys, costumes.. you name it - their 2500 square feet has it in some shape or form.






I remember when Steve and I were in there the first time, we both kept commenting over and over how we "had one of those" when we were kids. I even bought him a toy while we were there.


It lights up when you bounce it. That crazy ball would travel with us and would show up in the strangest of places like under my pillow, in a sink of water in the bathroom or in a bag of pretzels. It hasn't surfaced in awhile but I always have an eye open for it. (no pun intended!!)

Steve and I went back a few weeks ago for old time's sake and had just as much fun as we did the first time.

I know that Variety may not have the attraction of mega malls, fancy boutiques, Super Walmart or The Galleria but it's a piece of history and something you shouldn't miss.

Take the kids and pick up an old time toy or something else you don't need like rock candy, pixie sticks, double bubble or Tiddly Winks! Take a few pictures. Poke around at all the notions, dust catchers, gadgets and odd items. Because on June 30, after more than 60 years of doing business Variety will close their doors for good.




We're definitely going back once more before the end of June. I want to get a few more pictures and stock up on eyeball balls!

Check them out here

www.varietyfair.com

No comments: